So Minutes from last meeting:
So Minutes from last meeting:
- Please bring in all documentation (passports and immunization records)!!!! I need them by Wednesday, April 7th, 2010.
- Complete airfare due (~$664): Monday, April 5th, 2010.
- If you have not gotten your HepA or HepB vaccinations yet, go to Berkeley Free Clinic on Saturdays from 3-5pm. All information regarding vaccinations are online at www.berkeleypostbacsgmb.weebly.com. Look on there to see areas that offer vaccinations near you. Also, remember to bring in documentation to me at the next meeting.
- Good news: We have 12 people signed up for Public Health Brigades, therefore this is now a go.
- Correction: 10 day Public Health Brigade is only $950, not $1050 as thought before, this does not include the ~$664 airfare.
- Tell pharmacies and doctor's offices that they are eligible for $250 tax deductions for giving us medical supplies or other goods needed for the trip.
- Please remember to fill out everything on the online medication inventory form. We need to keep track so we don't get too much of one item. Thank you!
- Bring all medication in to meetings!!!
- For out of country donations, there is a PayPal account that can be used. No tax deductions are allowed for this account and make sure to add your name so that the donation goes to you. Look up information on our group website (indicated on the first bullet point above). Follow instructions there.
- To help personal fundraising, consider writing a personal email to people who might donate (friends, family, coworkers, etc) and offering incentives (such as Honduran coffee, souveniers, etc.). This might give people the extra push to donate to your cause!
- If you get a pharmacy, doctor's office, work, church, etc. to donate to Berkeley Medical Brigades group, 10% of the donation will go to your own personal fund for the trip. The check should be payable to: Berkeley Medical Brigades.
- The Fundraising Bar Night will be April 18th at 8pm. Please remember to invite and tell all of your friends!!!! Everyone will have to sell 10 tickets, probably priced around $10-15. Kareoki will be provided. Tickets will be given out at the next meeting so please think about who to invite.
- When in Honduras, remember to be culturally sensitive and be appropriate when taking photos. All privacy issues in US hospitals and care facilities should be observed there also. Thank you for cooperating.
- Anyone who has yet to give their $100 deposit needs to do it BY March 7th, 2010.
- Next meeting: March 14th 3PM, location TBA.
- If you would like to go on the May brigade but have not applied yet, we still have space, especially on the 10-day Medical/Public Health brigade. Application is available at: http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/globalbrigades.org/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dDYwaTVFaE5uQUNfcG94R0NmRzQ1VkE6MA
- Also, sign up sheet was passed around to decide which group you will be a part of: 1)Grants Group 2) Fundraising Group 3) Pharmacy Group. If not in a group yet, please sign up ASAP.
- For next meeting, please bring in 2 copies of your passport picture page. Also, please bring in photocopies of your immunization records for the following vaccinations: Typhoid, HepA, HepB, Tetanus, Malaria (Look up traveling clinics from your county online to receive vaccinations).
- If you do not have a US Passport, you will need to apply for a Visa to go to Honduras. Look up this information online!!!
- Medical Professionals are required to turn in: 2 copies of passport picture page, photocopies of medical license and diploma, and vaccination records.
- $150 deposit is due by February 10th, 2010. Airline costs of $666.44 will be due by April 5th, 2010.
- In country costs for 7-day Medical Brigade is $750 and for the 10-day Medical Brigade is $1050.
- Donations up to $250 are tax-deductable.
- Donations made on your website are nonrefundable, with the possibility of transferring in-country costs for one year after initial scheduled brigade.
- Open up your Global Medical Brigade website ASAP. If your website is not up by 1/31 we will assume you are not going!!!!
- We still need Medical Professionals!!! Please use your personal networks to recruit Nurse Practitioners, Doctors, Nurses that speak Spanish, and Dentists.
- We will have a quick recruitment to increase the number of people for the 10-day Medical Brigade. Please make announcements in classes or to your friends to recruit people for the 10-day Public Health Brigade. We will hold another information meeting TBA.
- Remember to use goodsearch.com and goodshop.com to help us earn money. Use it yourself and tell your social networks to use it as well. You can select our group (listed under University of California Berkeley - Postbaccs Medical Brigades) and get Yahoo! search results while generating a small but steady source of income for our club.
- Start collecting medications. Don't forget to bring the form available to prove we are a legitimate organization. Also, use your personal networking!!! People give to people not causes!
- Darren will be making an inventory sheet for medications and kits we have acquired. Please keep checking it to make sure we have an even amount of certain types of medication.
- We cannot transport expired medication or anything with pseudoephedrine in it!!!! Please keep this in mind when asking for medications.
- There are 4 forms online you can print to carry with you when asking people for help (Letter to Pharmacies, Letter to Doctors, Packing List, etc.)
- You will need 2 suitcases to carry medical supplies with you to Honduras. They must weigh a maximum of 50 lbs. Keep in mind, these should be old suitcases since they will most likely be left in Honduras and get dirty throughout the trip. Try craigslist.com or freecycle (Yahoo groups).
- Fundraising ideas so far: T-shirt logos, Pizza cards, Guest Bartending, Raffle, Safeway/WholeFoods Donations. Keep thinking of ideas!!!
- Overall, we would like to raise around $3000-$4000 for the group to pay for Grant/Medication Costs for the group.
- Don't forget to also get donations for small toys, clothes, hygiene products (toothbrushes/toothpaste, etc.), stickers, etc.
- Our next meeting will be February 14th at 2:00pm. Location TBA!!!